Friday, June 10, 2011

RECIPE: Rhubarb Pie (in the summer)

Well lately I've been thinkin'
about some good home cookin',
just like that I haven't eaten'
in the longest time.
Now I like potato chips,
now please don't get me wrong.
But I havent tasted mama's rhubarb pie in so very long.

Rhubarb pie, in the summer.
Rhubarb pie, made by my mother.
Nothing better in the winter,
than rhurbarb pie after dinner.

Twinkes may be better,
than a hole in the sweater,
and a hole in the sweater,
beats a poke in the eye.
If I had my choice,
I'd leave this gas station store.
And then I'd travel back in time,
and I'd sit down and have some more.

[Chorus]

Looking at the picture,
in the Sunday paper,
of the politician, he's talkn' to the press.
He looks like he's been eating lemons all his life.
Well I think mama's rhubarb pie
could save solve more problems overnight.

Five Iron Frenzy wins again.

--------

As you have probably guessed by now, I made a rhubarb pie.  A rhubarb apple pie, to be precise.  I used a strawberry rhubarb pie recipe (out of How to Cook Everything) and converted some of the ingredients to suit my needs.  I'm not a fan of cooked strawberries in any form (strawberries ought to crunch, not squish) ... thus the apple.  I don't think many people have tried a rhubapple pie.  But now I have.

FILLING INGREDIENTS:

5 cups total of fruit
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped small
- 2 cups apple, chopped small
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground allspice or nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped
Milk

FLAKY DOUGH RECIPE:
(for one recipe; two are needed for the pie--so double all ingredients when shopping)

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons ice water

DIRECTIONS:

Make the dough first.

1. Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor and pulse (or cut together by hand); add butter and process until the mixture looks like cornmeal.

2. Put the mixture into a bowl and add the ice water; mix with your hands until you can form the dough into a ball, adding another tablespoon or two of ice water if necessary.  Form into a ball, wrap in plastic, and freeze for 10 minutes or refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

3. Sprinkle a clean countertop with flour and the top of the dough ball.  Use a rolling pin to roll the dough from the center out.  If the dough is sticky, add more flour.  Roll, adding flour and rotating and turning the dough as needed, adding a drop of water when you press a patch into place.

4. When the diameter of the dough is about 2 inches greater than that of your pie plate, drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer to the pie plate.  Press the dough firmly into the plate and refrigerate for about an hour before filling.

5. Trim the excess dough to about 1/2 inch all around, then tuck it under itself around the edge of the plate.  Decorate as desired.  Freeze the dough for 10 minutes.

6. Prebake for a few minutes if desired.

Now, to make the filling:

7. Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  Toss the chopped fruit with the sugar, thickener, salt, and spices.  Stir in lemon juice and zest, and pile into the rolled-out shell, making the pile a little higher in the center.  Dot with butter.  Cover with top crust.  Decorate edges as desired.

8. Put the pie on a baking sheet and brush the top lightly with milk.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Use a sharp paring knife to cut a pattern in the top for ventilation.  bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40 to 50 minutes, or until pie is golden-brown.  Do not underbake.  Cool on rack before serving warm.





VERDICT: Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. YEAH!!!!!! I was totally humming that song when I saw your title, and then I saw that you included all the lyrics! Kendra for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this article, we provide you with a simple-to-follow guide to strawberry rhubarb pie recipe. It is pretty easy and straightforward. strawberry rhubarb pie recipe

    ReplyDelete