Wednesday, August 24, 2011

RECIPE: Snap-that's-easy Pesto

Some of my garden died or suffered badly this summer (from the early floods, hail, and record temps, I can't really tell), but my basil has been going bonkers.  I have two fine bushes of it, and I don't make nearly enough pizza to use it up.  So, pesto!  Really, pesto is incredibly easy to make.

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups fresh-picked basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 walnuts (or pine nuts, if you're high-brow)
3 medium sized garlic cloves
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Throw everything in a blender or a food processor.  Turn on and process until it has reached a pesto texture.  Done!  The recipe I used as a guide had an elaborate list of instructions and ordering of bullet points of how to throw things in the blender, but I didn't follow it and mine turned out fine.  I threw it onto a plate of whole-wheat penne and away I went.

VERDICT:  Delicious.  Highly addictive.  Makes you taste garlic for days.  PERFECT!




No comments:

Post a Comment