Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How to make use of those pumpkin seeds ....

I ended up having a fair number of pumpkin seeds left from the pie pumpkin I gutted in making my roasted veggie dish, so I decided to put them to good use.  This isn't much of a recipe, I'm afraid, so much as a set of basic guidelines when it comes to roasting your own pumpkin seeds.  You will need salt, olive oil, and (of course!) your pumpkin seeds.


  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Separate the seeds from the stringy core, and rinse them in a sieve if you have one.
  3. In a small saucepan, add the seeds to salted water (about 2 cups of water to every 1/2 cup of seeds).  The saltier your water, the saltier the seeds.  I added about a tablespoon, and I could barely taste the salt.  Perfect.  
  4. Bring the saucepan to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.  
  5. Remove from heat and drain. 
  6. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the drained seeds and stir until they are evenly coated.  
  7. Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan, all in one layer, and sprinkle with any seasonings that you might like.  I used a touch of paprika and some ground thyme, but I'm sure a Touch o' Magic or garlic salt would be delicious, too.  I have used onion salt and a variety of other seasonings in the past, and you pretty much can't go wrong.
  8. Bake on the top rack until the seeds begin to brown (between 10-20 minutes).  Don't let them burn.  If they look like they might be browning, they probably are.  And that means they're done--do not let them get past the "golden brown" stage.
  9. When the seeds are browned to your satisfaction, remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack.
  10. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment